B4 Class 0-4-0T No 30096
Class Introduced: 1891
Designer: Mr W Adams
Built: 1893 - Nine Elms Works, London and South Western Railway (L&SWR)
Total Number Built: 25
Numbers Carried: 96, E96, 96, 30096
British Railways (BR) Power Classification: 1F
The last survivor of her class on British Railways (BR), No 30096 was withdrawn in October 1963 and sold in December to coal merchants Corrall and Associated Companies, Dibbles Wharf (a subsidiary of PD Fuels Ltd). Following six years of service, which included cab modifications and christening Corrall Queen, diesel haulage was eventually introduced resulting in a further period of inaction.
Following news of withdrawal, a group of Bulleid Pacific Preservation Society (BPPS) members and Southern Railway (SR) enthusiasts began negotiations to purchase the locomotive with the expectation she would be a useful shunting asset to the BPPS at the Longmoor Military Railway (LMR). Unfortunately, planning permission to develop the southern terminus at Liss was opposed by local residents, and the fledgling LMR closed in October 1969. It was therefore decided to base the locomotive at the already established Nuthatch Line - purchase was finally completed in December 1972 for £1,000 and the locomotive transported to Sussex by road.
Although in working order, No 30096 required a general overhaul - closer inspection revealed several tubes to be in a very poor condition. Following extensive work, hampered by the need to prioritise larger and more capable locomotives, No 30096 eventually returned to traffic in August 1986.